|From:||Lenny Siegel <email@example.com>|
|Date:||Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:01:15 -0800 (PST)|
|Subject:||[CPEO-BIF] Ford Avenue cleanup, Milltown, New Jersey|
Cleanup funding hinges on Ford Ave. ownership Borough eligible for more grants than private owner BY JESSICA SMITH East Brunswick Sentinel (NJ) December 18, 2008Funding for the cleanup of contamination on Ford Avenue took center stage last week when state representatives met with the Milltown Borough Council.
Two representatives of the state Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) spoke at the council's Dec. 8 meeting. Project Manager William Lindner and Colleen Kokas, both of the DEP Office of Brownfield Reuse, said grant funding is available through the state agency for remediation of the 22.5- acre former industrial property. Since the redevelopment site is designated as a brownfield, the project would be eligible for monies from the Brownfield and Contaminated Site Remediation Act (BCSRA).
"We want to make sure the remediation that is selected is protective of the end use of that site," Kokas said.
Funding from the DEP would cover 75 percent of cleanup costs at a rate of $5 million per year. The other 25 percent would be paid by the firm redeveloping the property, which is slated for a mix of housing and retail uses. Kokas said the borough or DEP can pursue reimbursement for the cleanup from responsible parties, but that typically occurs after the cleanup has taken place.
... For the entire article, see http://ebs.gmnews.com/news/2008/1218/front_page/005.html -- Lenny Siegel Executive Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight a project of the Pacific Studies Center 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <firstname.lastname@example.org> http://www.cpeo.org _______________________________________________ Brownfields mailing list Brownfields@lists.cpeo.org http://lists.cpeo.org/listinfo.cgi/brownfields-cpeo.org
Prev by Date: [CPEO-BIF] Echo Lake Road site, Connecticut|
Next by Date: [CPEO-BIF] [Fwd: 2009 CARE Request for Proposals Announcement is pasted below with an attached pdf version of the document. Applications are due March 16, 2009.]
Prev by Thread: [CPEO-BIF] Echo Lake Road site, Connecticut|
Next by Thread: [CPEO-BIF] [Fwd: 2009 CARE Request for Proposals Announcement is pasted below with an attached pdf version of the document. Applications are due March 16, 2009.]