2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 01:01:32 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Lighthouse Pointe proposal, New York

New high-end housing project along Genesee River good for community

Opinion by Charles Morgan
Rochester Democrat and Chronicle
January 31, 2009

Can you imagine - an esplanade along the river with shops, restaurants and an amphitheater? A hotel and condominiums with a beautiful view of Lake Ontario. Sound like Toronto?

No, this would be Lighthouse Pointe, which my late father and I have planned for 47 acres on the Genesee River.

We have been stymied by environmental contamination, since the site is an old city landfill on the Department of Environmental Conservation list of hazardous substance sites. Groundwater and soil are heavily contaminated.

We applied to the Brownfield Cleanup Program to have the DEC supervise cleanup that might cost $8 million, and give us liability releases. Without this, banks will not finance the project, and the Health Department will not give approvals.

For the entire column, see
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20090131/OPINION02/901310319/1008/OPINION