2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:04:23 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Gowanus Canal, Brooklyn, New York listing

From: Schnapf, Lawrence <Lawrence.Schnapf@srz.com>

The first model of using Superfund authority (either by forcing
responsible parties to cleanup or having government fund the cleanup)
has become broken because of the numerous bankruptcies that allow
responsible parties to walk away cleanup obligations or because the tax
for replenishing the Superfund was allowed to lapse.

Also, states have been reluctant to support listing of sites because of
fears of stigmatization (and perhaps second-quessing of their
oversight).

But the Superfund program is no panacea either. Just look at the number
of sites where institutional controls were not properly implemented or
maintained, or the number of sites being re-opened recently during the
five-year reviews.

I think the brownfield programs were partially being used as part of the
"market knows best" philosophy of the past two decades and also to
relieve budget/resources issues at state levels. If funding can be
restored to Superfund, then I agree with Lenny that brownfield programs
should not be used to remediate true NPL-caliber sites.

However, in this era of constrained state budgets and smaller
government, we do have to take a hard look at what level of work state
or federal governments can effectively operate.

Larry