2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Deb Ranjan Sinha \(Gmail\)" <debsinha@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:02:35 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Gowanus Canal, Brooklyn, New York listing

I recently completed my dissertation research on brownfields in Worcester (MA).
While my case studies did not involve any NPL sites, I think the implications
are equally applicable.

Overall, most owners (responsible party or not) were reported to be extremely
hesitant to conduct environmental assessment on their property (even as part of
due diligence by a prospective developer/buyer). Massachusetts' voluntary
cleanup program has resulted in *quantity over quality* through the use of
*Activity Use Limitation* - AUL allows detectable contamination to be left
behind on the property. The efficacy of private *Licensed Site Professionals* to
conduct assessment and cleanup is also debatable - *good* LSPs are those who can
exploit the loopholes in the rules to minimize costs in any possible way, even
if it means incomplete assessment and inadequate cleanup.

Most projects are dependent on state and federal monies (i.e. tax-payer dollars)
for environmental assessment and cleanup. The developer/owner are disinterested
in using any of their own funds for environmental components of the project,
knowing that they can milk the public funding sources for that. Today's NYT
article also succintly notes the abuse of public funds to clean up private
crimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/26/science/earth/26superfund.html

I would be extremely interested in any studies that have looked at the questions
raised here by the discussants. The few I have seen seem to be inconclusive
regarding effect of known contaminants and property value. In Worcester,
identities of contaminated properties seems to be a common knowledge (at least
to those in the know). The extent and degree of contamination are the only
uncertainties in case of unassessed properties.

Regards,

Deb.