2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:15:15 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] When. where, and how? - continuing the debate

Cathy,

While many people value the Brownfields Internet Forum for the electronic clippings and announcements, CPEO has always seen it as a forum. I treasure the current discussion, because I consider the early Obama years to be our best chance to reform the way we conduct and regulate environmental cleanup in this country.

Over the past decade, many of the activists with whom I work have been reluctant to consider reforms designed to make the process more efficient, because they knew that powerful force were simply trying to weaken environmental programs.

Now we have the opportunity to implement changes that better protect the public while streamlining the cleanup process. The best way to develop such proposals is to create forums that bring together experienced people with divergent perspectives. Until EPA or some other official body does that, CPEO is happy to host the discussion.

I recognize, however, that it's hard for everyone to keep up with the rapid-fire back-and-forth. I therefore urge those who have been most prolific in this discussion to slow down their keyboards while others join in the debate.

Lenny

Catherine J. Knudsen wrote:
Gentlemen!
Is there any chance you can now take this off line.  Maybe I am in the
minority but this continuing debate is now getting a bit annoying!
Thanks!