2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Schnapf, Lawrence" <Lawrence.Schnapf@srz.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 10:32:35 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Brownfield Data

Title: Brownfield Data

Henry's info is very interesting. Given all the money that has been awarded by EPA to local governments there must be some data that we could mine to figure out the range of costs by percentage and determine what are the outliers.

If most sites are former dry cleaners and gas stations, then a $200K-$400K cost is probably going to represent 20% or 30% of potential redevelopment costs in many urban areas.  It would helpful to try to figure out how many of the brownfield sites receiving funding are former corporate-owned sites vs. "mom and pop" businesses, as well as size of the sites receiving federal funding. Perhaps we need to develop a federally-funded research project to ferret out the profile of sites getting federal or state funding?

After a 15 years of funding and liability reforms, I think it is important that we develop some empircal information so we can determine what tools are really working and what regulatory changes need to be made to prevent future brownfields. EPA usually throws out numbers that discuss the number of jobs created or acres of land brought back into productive re-use. However, seems to me that the information generated so far is not sufficient to determine if the brownfield programs are getting the most bang for the buck. I've worked on brownfield sites all over the country that have received public and private funding and fro this unbscientific sampling it seems to be that the decision-making model for what sites should be eligble for funding and liability relief needs to be re-examined…..

Remember that we are going to see several thousand car dealerships go out of business many of which are located in the heart of the business districts of communities. Is anyone at the federal level trying to ensure that there is money set aside in the Chrysler bankruptcy case or in the soon-to-be GM bankrupcy to prevent these sites from becoming brownfields? Maybe Treasury should attach some strings to the money that is going to the auto companies and creditors to ensure that the local governments and taxpayers are not saddled with these costs.

Larry

U.S. Treasury Circular 230 Notice: Any U.S. federal tax advice included in this
communication was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the
purpose of avoiding U.S. federal tax penalties.

NOTICE

This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may
contain confidential information that is privileged or that constitutes attorney
work product.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
attachment(s) from your system.  Thank you.