2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Schnapf, Lawrence" <Lawrence.Schnapf@srz.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 11:13:37 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Santa Clarita article and Brownfield policy

Yes, NJ does have the Industrial Site Recovery Act (ISRA) which applies
to certain industrial establishments based on NAICS numbers but there
some gapping holes in its coverage such as gas station sites. Of course,
the infamous Kiddie Kollege site was an ISRA site but the owner did not
comply and the buyer did insufficient due diligence so the contamination
was not remediated before the school was opened!

A few other states have less rigorous laws such as the CT Transfer
Act.I've also seen sites in CT where parties structured deals to avoid
triggering the law's requirements. A federal environmental WARN or ISRA
law could help minimize the number of brownfield sites created in the
future. Another approach might be to administratively tighten RCRA
closure obligations to include generator sites since many of the smaller
brownfield sites likely qualified as small quantity or
conditionally-exempt generators. I have ideas how this might be
accomplished but don't want to clog up the listserve.....

Larry