2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Schnapf, Lawrence" <Lawrence.Schnapf@srz.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 11:52:33 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Listing Brooklyn's Gowanus Canal

Henry,

AAI does not necessarily operate the way you describe. It only applies
to the pre-acquisition activities that will allow a party to qualify for
the bona fide prospective purchaser defense (or innocent landowner and
contiquous owner defenses if the AAI does not uncover release of
hazardous substances).

Once a person takes title, it has "continuing obligations" (stop ongoing
releases, exercise "appropriate care", cooperate with remediators,
comply with disclosure requirements, comply with institutional controls,
etc). If the now owner does not comply with those continuing
obligations, it can lose its liability protection.

It is also important to emphasize that if a person takes title to
property adjacent to a superfund site, it will not necessarily qualify
for the contiguous property owner exemption since it would have known
about the contamination. Of course, it could qualify as a BFPP if the
contamination has migrated onto the site but there is that nasty
continuing obligations issue again.

One of the the weakness of AAI is that by not requiring a purchaser to
take sampling to further investigate release of hazardous substances
that are identified in the Phase 1 report (or RECs if the ASTM
terminology isused), it makes it hard for the now owner of the property
to comply with its "continuing obligations".

Larry