2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:54:39 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Bridgeport, Connecticut

Brownfields Forever
Bridgeport has loads of contaminated industrial sites that defy development, but city officials are diligently chipping away at the challenge of making them useful again

By Daniel D'Ambrosio
Fairfield County Weekly (CT)
August 27, 2009

On a recent muggy summer afternoon, I took a tour of Bridgeport brownfields with Ed Lavernoich, the city's deputy director of planning and economic development. Before we left, we pored over a city map, plotting the former industrial sites that make up the city's brownfields as Lavernoich grew more and more animated about the challenge of dealing with the contamination left behind.

"Nobody has more far-reaching or greater magnitude of problems with brownfields than Bridgeport," says Lavernoich. "It's kind of amazing how much the problem of urban brownfields impacts so many aspects of American life, everything from poverty and public health to the destruction of natural habitat because people wanted to avoid these problems in the inner city."

http://www.fairfieldweekly.com/article.cfm?aid=14287