2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:44:45 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Chewing Gum Factory site, Haverford, Delaware

[When I first saw that a "Gum" factory might have vapor intrusion, I thought it was supposed to say "Gun." Chewing gum production is not one of the industries that I normally mention as places to look for volatile organic compounds capable of vapor intrusion. - LS]

Into The Unknown - The Chewing Gum Factory Site At The Eagle Road Corridor

Michael H. Levin, Ph.D., F.A.A.A.S.
Environmental Research Associates
October 15, 2009

1. The site is a portion of the Superfund Site since 1982, National Priority List #542, administered by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The remedy status is incomplete. No vapor intrusion studies into closed structures have been performed.

2. The entire gum factory property was taken by Eminent Domain in the Fall of 2009 with compensation of $1.2Million. An undisclosed amount of additional compensation is being sought by the owner from Haverford Township in Common Pleas Court. Legal fees for acquisition and subsequent lease from Haverford Township to the YMCA have not been disclosed.

For the entire entry, see
http://environresearchassoc.com/?p=62