2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 10:38:54 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] APF Lawsuit, Bay Pines, FL

Suit filed over pollution from Bay Pines defense plant

By MARK  DOUGLAS
News Channel 8/Tampa Tribune (FL)
October 23, 2009

In seven years of environmental detective work for the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, Bob Ankenbauer never saw anything as alarming as the abandoned chemical lab littered with open jars of acid and cyanide.

"I was worried about spillage from kids playing there. I was worried about them forming clouds in the building, worried about the building itself because these acids could eat through the steel," Ankenbauer said.

He would soon learn that the work done at the complex included applying the most destructive of chemicals to airplane materials to see if they'd hold up.

Seventeen years later, attorney Joseph Saunders has filed a class action lawsuit on behalf of neighbors because acids, poisons and toxic chemicals from that complex have contaminated groundwater and may have migrated to surrounding homes.

For the entire story, see
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/oct/23/suit-filed-over-pollution-bay-pines-defense-plant/news-breaking/