2009 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 19:56:38 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Gowanus Canal update, Brooklyn, New York

Rich,

Politics may indeed explain the "deliberate" process, but I'm curious about the relatively rapid movement at the Raritan Bay Slag site. That's the anomaly. It usually takes EPA just 30 days to screw in a light bulb.

Cleaning up the Gowanus Canal is more than a Superfund cleanup. In my view, the Combined Sewer Overflow actually represents a greater threat to public health. That doesn't justify delay in listing, but making the site safe will also require the involvement of Clean Water regulators and a huge investment by the City of New York.

Lenny

R CHAPIN wrote:
If EPA wants to list a site on the NPL quickly, they can do it. The Raritan Bay Slag site was proposed in April 2009 and listed in November 2009. That site also had significant backing of the local congressman, the NJ's senators etc. The EPA's Removal Branch did a lot of work on a quick schedule support the listing.

NYC has a proposed plan and has submitted written objections. Not sure in what capacity this was (i.e., the municipal government where the site is, or as a PRP. Anyone know about this and can enlighten us?) I don't know if NY congressman and senators have officially weighed in; hopefully someone can also fill in this data gap.

One man's opinion: EPA is not jumping in till it's sure it has to, and hasn't gotten to that point, for a number of reasons. Maybe they don't have the resources (i.e., people) to properly staff the job AND BIG money is surely required to clean this up. Remember, superfund is not awash with funds and hasn't been for years. (How long ago did that tax expire?) If EPA doesn't/can't "jawbone" a PRP to spent its own money the site must get in line with the other NPL sites. EPA people have told me many times if they start a site they will finish it, so they they won't just jump into it. (If it hadn't been for ARRA, many major projects here in Jersey would still be stuck in limbo.) I'm sure Region 2 knows what it can and can't do with this years funding for its superfund sites. And we shouldn't forget that superfund wouldn't be the fastest route to completing the actual work or the most economical. If they did list it, it would have to compete with all the other NPL site's for staff and $. I doubt anyone in Region 2 would or could tell you that Gowanus Canal would "win out" over all the other sites out there; they have no way of knowing this. I suspect a combination a factors (technical, financial and other) have resulted in EPA taking the currently "safe" route of collecting more data. They are working on the site, they just taken it all. (It is possible, BTW, that EPA just couldn't/wouldn't accept the existing data's QA/QC and/or needs to fill in "critical data gaps" that it identified before proceeding. This wouldn't be the first time that questionable data (or just questioned data) has slowed cleanup work.)

Rich Chapin
Richard W. Chapin, M.S., P.E., BCEE
President, Chapin Engineering
27 Quincy Road, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
908-647-8407 908 625 5697 (cell) 908-647-6959 (fax)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lenny Siegel" <lsiegel@cpeo.org>