2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:34:44 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] EPA and Pompton Lakes, New Jersey

EPA pledges swifter pace in Pompton Lakes pollution case

BY JAMES M. O'NEILL
The Record (NJ)
January 17, 2010

POMPTON LAKES - The top federal environmental official for North Jersey says she will make cleanup of toxic contaminated groundwater under a local neighborhood a top priority and will push for swifter federal and state action on solving the problem.

"We will play a more aggressive oversight role," Judith Enck, regional administrator for the Environmental Protection Agency's Region 2, which includes New Jersey, said Friday. "We'd like to pick up the pace of cleanup progress in Pompton Lakes, and at other sites throughout New Jersey, some of which have lingered for decades."

Residents of a neighborhood just south of the old DuPont munitions facility have grown distrustful of DuPont and state officials as those entities, in measured fashion, address tainted groundwater that has spread off DuPont's site and under about 450 homes.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/health/other_health/81970832_DuPont_site_cleanup_pushed.html

For EPA's news release, go to
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/e51aa292bac25b0b85257359003d925f/212c5bf809483695852576b2005564f1!OpenDocument