2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:09:40 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Gowanus Canal (Brooklyn, NY) added to the National Superfund List

News Release
U.S. EPA Region 2
March 2, 2010

EPA Adds Brooklyn's Gowanus Canal to the National Superfund List of Hazardous Waste Sites; Agency will Pursue Polluters to Pay for Comprehensive Cleanup

(New York, NY) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) today announced that it has officially placed the Gowanus Canal in Brooklyn, NY on its Superfund National Priorities List of the country's most hazardous waste sites. Since EPA proposed the listing in April 2009, Agency officials have met with government and elected officials, business representatives, representatives of civic organizations, and community members, and reviewed more than 1,300 comments received on its proposal to list the site. The Agency has determined that adding the site to the Superfund list is the best way to clean up the heavily contaminated canal.

"After conducting our own evaluations and consulting extensively with the many people who have expressed interest in the future of the Gowanus Canal and the surrounding area, we have determined that a Superfund designation is the best path to a cleanup of this heavily contaminated and long neglected urban waterway," said Judith Enck, Regional Administrator. "We plan to continue our work with the same spirit of inclusion and involvement that has already been demonstrated, and thank everyone for their focus on this pollution problem."

For the entire release, see
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/d10ed0d99d826b068525735900400c2a/2c7ef12ad44da9c4852576da00536f0f!OpenDocument