2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 23:12:18 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Martin Luther King Jr. school, Trenton, New Jersey

New King school opens

Meir Rinde
Trenton Times (NJ)
March 04, 2010

TRENTON -- Delighted community members toured the halls of the new Martin Luther King Jr. school yesterday, amazed that the campus was finally completed after a tortured five-year process that cost $76 million and saw the partly finished building torn down and reconstructed because of soil contamination.

"This has been a long time coming," state Sen. Shirley Turner, D-Ewing, told students, parents, district staffers, city officials and residents who gathered for an opening ceremony under the new gymnasium's soaring roof.

"I don't know of another school that took five years to complete. But the most important thing is, it is complete. And not only is it complete, it is beautiful," Turner said. "The most important aspect of this building is that it is safe for our children. And that is why it took us so long to get where we are today."

Originally budgeted at $28 million, the construction of the new campus on Brunswick Avenue was halted in 2005 after low levels of petroleum products and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) were discovered in fill that had been brought to the site.

http://www.nj.com/news/times/regional/index.ssf?/base/news-19/126768513023550.xml&coll=5