2010 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 16:13:28 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] The National Aquarium and the Patapsco River waterfront, Baltimore, Maryland

National Aquarium Reclaims Contaminated Baltimore City Waterfront

Citybizlist Real Estate (MD)
May 11 (?), 2010

National Aquarium leaders, joined by Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, the Environmental Protection Agency, partners and members of the business community, unveiled plans for a publically-accessible waterfront park on its property on the Patapsco River. The once contaminated and underused property has been reclaimed through brownfield remediation work and is being transformed into an asset for the community and the environment. When purchased in 2007, the 12.5 acre development site at 101 W. Dickman Street was recognized as a brownfield site, created by filling a shallow flat in the river with construction and demolition debris from various projects around the city including the construction of Interstate 95. The remediation work was the first of a phased development process slated for the property.

"Just over two years ago, we stood in this same spot to present the National Aquarium with a $200,000 EPA Brownfields check," said EPA Regional Administrator Shawn M. Garvin. "Here we are today with our partners recognizing that this site -- instead of languishing as a polluted, empty lot -- will now become part of a growing economy and a true asset for the community."

http://baltimorerealestate.citybizlist.com/yourcitybiznews/detail.aspx?id=77509