2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 18:01:57 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Mountain View's Shoreline tax-increment financing

Most of the people I know who work on brownfields reacted strongly against California Governor Jerry Brown's plan to cut back the state's redevelopment agencies. To be sure, in many instance tax-increment financing by those agencies enables valuable redevelopment projects that would otherwise be infeasible. However, there are other situations where I believe the costs of such diversions of local tax money outweigh their value.

One such instance is in my own community, Mountain View, California, where the redevelopment district containing Google's world headquarters is overfunded while local schools are scraping to maintain their programs. I haven't been involved in the campaign described in this article, but to me it illustrates the need to find balance between redevelopment funding and support for entities from which they "borrow" tax money.

Lenny

Parents seek larger slice of Shoreline taxes
Issue goes before City Council next Tuesday

by Daniel Debolt
Mountain View Voice (CA)
February 2, 2011

In one of its most challenging discussions in recent memory, the City Council on Tuesday will talk about the possibility of relinquishing to local schools a larger share of property taxes from North Bayshore companies, including Google.

A group of parents have organized a formidable campaign, called "Share Shoreline," to retrieve the funds, which they say are unfairly withheld in a 40-year-old tax district known as the Shoreline Community. City officials say they are sympathetic to the parent's concerns and are carefully considering a solution. Nevertheless, the City Council chambers is expected to be packed on Tuesday at 5 p.m. with school parents recruited by the campaign's Facebook page, the shareshoreline.org website and pitches to local Parent Teacher Associations and school site councils.

http://www.mv-voice.com/news/show_story.php?id=3894&e=y