2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 11:52:19 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] EPA's Inspector General reviews All Appropriate Inquiries reports

From: Markus Niebanck <markus@amicusenv.com>

Why did the Inspector General's report focus only on the issue of certification? A supposed evaluation of AAI process that turns only on this seems ridiculous. I have many different consultants conducting AAI and on reflection I now realize that this is a part of the report that I pay less attention to. I look more carefully at the technical elements. Did they conduct interviews? Was the breadth of the historic record review sufficient? Was the field inspection thorough and properly documented? Is this a thorough and well-crafted report?

Note to self, make sure the service providers have used the proper certification language at the end of the report. But tell me - why did the Inspector not look at these other aspects of the reports?

I don't get in a lather over what they've "discovered" because, taken as written, they illuminate a practice that owes to a lack of discipline and protocol, not necessarily one that should signify an overall lack of AAI quality. In other words, I do not believe a mis-worded certification statement or a missing resume is a certain sign that the rest of the undertaking was poorly done.

Read the report. Draw your own conclusions.

Markus