2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:45:42 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] EPA's Inspector General reviews AllAppropriate Inquiries reports

I don't want to re-open fully our old debate on the public disclosure of Phase 1 reports, but it should be recognized that a large number of such site assessments are already in the public record. The IG report looked at reports that were public because EPA funded them. Other reports may be public because the developer, such as a school construction authority, is a public agency.

In such cases, there should be a mechanism for EPA or another regulatory agency to do a cursory, checklist review of the report. I would not expect the regulators to re-consider the report's conclusions. Rather, they would evaluate whether the environmental professional had followed the All Appropriate Inquiries Rule.

As for reports that are not required to be disclosed to the public, there should be a similar, but voluntary mechanism. A report could be voluntarily examined for a "Good Housekeeping" seal of approval. Wouldn't some developers welcome the opportunity to ensure that their consultants are doing what they've been contracted to do?

Lenny

Ben Neal wrote:

Another solution might be to tighten the requirements of who is allowed to do Phase I work, with real consequences for those who fail to meet expectations. I don't agree with Lenny's suggestion that Phase I reports should routinely be disclosed to government regulators. Many Phase I projects are done for tentative reasons: speculation or anticipatory due diligence. In my opinion, those should be able to remain confidential.