2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 08:12:17 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Site Management at Mott Haven Campus, Bronx, New York

[Since I'm quoted in this article, I would like to clarify two points: First, there is no information to indicate that the school is unsafe. Rather, there is an absence of data to confirm that it is safe. Second, I am attending, not hosting the meeting this week. - LS]

Toxic groundwater makes Mott Haven school site unsafe for kids, teachers and residents argue

BY Corinne Lestch
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
July 26, 2011

Though a recent court ruling states the School Construction Authority has to provide a long-term environmental review after a long legal battle concerning the Mott Haven campus, community members say it's too little, too late.

A long legal battle between the Department of Education and the Mott Haven community over contamination beneath a school site may have finally come to an end, but teachers and residents charge the complex is still a tainted mess.

About two weeks ago, a unanimous decision came down from the Bronx Supreme Court Appellate Division mandating that the School Construction Authority provide a plan for the long-term maintenance and monitoring of soil and groundwater before starting construction.

Too late for the sprawling Mott Haven Campus, which opened last September: an environmental consultant said the pressure gauges set in place to show the system is preventing contamination underneath the school are not working, and water is leaking onto the gym floor.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/bronx/ 2011/07/26/2011-07-26_school_a_toxic_mess_mott_haven_site_is_unsafe_for_ kids_say_teachers__residents.html

You may need to cut and paste the link.

278-A Hope Street, Mountain View, CA 94041
Voice: 650-961-8918 or 650-969-1545
Fax: 650-961-8918