2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 23:23:44 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Mentor Marsh, Ohio former salt landfill near

Report reveals what was dumped in former salt landfill near Mentor Marsh

By Betsy Scott

News-Herald (OH)
September 2, 2011

Area officials now have a better idea just what was dumped in a former salt landfill near the Mentor Marsh State Nature Preserve and how much surrounding property was impacted.

Soil and water sampling conducted in October revealed no public health risk, but a risk nonetheless, according to an environmental assessment report by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency.

The report is based on dozens of soil borings at and around the landfill property northwest of Lake Shore Boulevard and Route 44, as part of a targeted brownfield assessment. The investigation shows that the landfill boundaries extend into residential properties located on the east side of Deer Ridge Road.

"We always knew there were large quantities of salt, lime kiln dust and fly ash buried at the site," Ohio EPA spokesman Mike Settles said. "We did not know if there were other materials, such as hazardous wastes, buried there. The assessment did not find evidence of hazardous waste, so that's good news. Results showed some elevated levels of metals, but nothing that would pose a human health issue for the community. Therefore, our concern remains with the salt leaching into Mentor Marsh and the adverse impact it is having on the ecological condition of the marsh."

http://news-herald.com/articles/2011/09/02/news/ doc4e60dcac70396014510435.txt