2011 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:43:19 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Google development might speed cleanup in Mountain View, California

More room for Google in newly OK'd office project

by Daniel DeBolt

Mountain View Voice  (CA)
September 30, 2011

Google has another option for expansion in Mountain View now that the City Council has approved the construction of a 181,000-square-foot building at 369 North Whisman Road.

Because the building sits on top of an underground plume of toxic industrial solvent TCE left by early computer component manufacturers, the buildings are required to have sub-slab ventilation systems to prevent toxic vapors from entering the buildings.

Mayor Siegel asked if city staff was aware of new technologies to clean up the TCE faster, presumably because the new development presented an opportunity to require new cleanup efforts on the site, or at least the study of it.

"We have heard that the ability to treat it has improved," said Zoning Administrator Peter Gilli. "The EPA has the authority to implement that as they see needed. It is not something the council would have to look at. But if that's something council would like to see it studied we can work with the EPA and the property owner."

After the meeting, developer John Lovewell said accelerating the stagnant cleanup efforts of the site "is not a cost issue for me" because the responsible party, Schlumberger Technology Corp., would have to pay for it.

"If we could clean it up tomorrow, that would be great," he said.

http://www.mv-voice.com/news/show_story.php?id=4780&e=y