2012 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 12:34:06 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Federal Agencies Announce Envronmental Justice Strategies

News Release
U.S  EPA
February 27, 2012

Obama Administration Announces Commitments to Protect the Health of Every American/Agencies publish environmental justice strategies designed to ensure that all communities are protected from environmental harm and benefit from federal programs

WASHINGTON - Today, federal agencies, led by the Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), released environmental justice strategies, implementation plans and progress reports, outlining steps agencies will take to protect communities facing greater health and environmental risks. These strategies represent a significant step forward in the Administrationâs commitment to integrating environmental justice into federal decision-making and programs in areas such as transportation, labor, health services, housing and others.

"Working together we have been able to make environmental justice a focus not just for EPA, but for agencies across the administration. Each of our federal partners plays a unique role in serving the American people, and each has a unique opportunity to ensure that our communities get the health and environmental protections they deserve," said U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Lisa P. Jackson. "If we aspire to build an economy and a society that works for every American, we can't allow the heaviest burdens of pollution and health threats to fall on our poorest citizens. Bringing together our federal partners to tackle these challenges is a major step toward health, environmental and economic benefits in communities across the nation."

For the entire release, see
http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/ d0cf6618525a9efb85257359003fb69d/cd2d72a02dda6281852579b100516ff3! OpenDocument