2012 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 16:16:32 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Elmwood, Missouri residents fear TCE vapors

Elmwood residents scared to stay in homes after TCE results

by John Knicely
KMOV-TV 4 News (St. Louis, MO)
August 17, 2012

ST. LOUIS COUNTY -- Most garage sales happen on weekends, but the one in Elmwood Thursday was for an emergency move. The homeowner is terrified to sleep in her own home after learning neighboring homes tested positive for TCE, a cancer-causing chemical. On Thursday night that resident gathered with neighbors to hear their legal options from Simmons Law office, who is representing one of the residents.

"Several of my neighbors have passed away and it's affected my son's health," said the woman who was afraid to share her identity. "And I'm just afraid of what I'm living in and breathing everyday."

The Missouri Department of Natural Resources (DNR) told residents last week of the danger stemming from a 1988 industrial spill. The spill happened at what is now Missouri Metals LLC, but a different company operated the building at the time. DNR hasn't been forthcoming with answers to News 4, but we know DNR knew of the spill in 1994 if not sooner. They held the first neighborhood meeting in August 2012 and that was at the request of the St. Louis County Executive Charlie Dooley's office.

For the entire story, see
http://www.kmov.com/home/Elmwood-residents-scared-to-stay-in-homes- planning-lawsuit-after-TCE-test-results-166498426.html

278-A Hope Street, Mountain View, CA 94041
Voice: 650-961-8918 or 650-969-1545
Fax: 650-961-8918