2012 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 10:54:46 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] ODOT Plume, Newark, Ohio

Danger in the land | Toxic plume spreads under Newark; 8 families must leave

By Lori Kurtzman
Columbus Dispatch
September 23, 2012

NEWARK, Ohio - Ever since she learned what was lurking beneath the soil, Heather Puryear has been afraid of her home. She put a filter on the kitchen faucet, let the tomatoes out back rot on the vine. She cries thinking about what her five children might have been exposed to since they moved into their Licking County house nearly two years ago.

"We had no clue," said Puryear, 31, standing on her porch and watching her boys toss a ball with the neighbor kids. "I'm scared to know what we've been breathing in."

Officials monitoring the site of a decades-old, underground toxic plume say they don't yet know how much, if any, gas has leaked to the surface and into eight Newark homes. But concern about rising toxicity levels in the area is forcing Puryear's family and those living at seven other properties to vacate by next year.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/09/23/danger-in- the-land.html