2013 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 20:30:19 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Perc spill under West Medford, Massachusetts parking lot

Hazardous chemical under West Medford parking lot causes problems to arise

The city of Medford has applied for two $200,000 grants to help pay for a $1.8 million, state-mandated project to extract a cancer- causing chemical called perchloroethylene from the West Medford parking lot.

By Nicholas Iovino
Medford Transcript (MA)
December 19, 2012

Medford - A cancer-causing chemical in the soil below a West Medford parking lot has caused costly problems for the city and three local businesses.

Earlier this month, Medford applied for two federal grants totaling $400,000 to help fund a $1.8-million project to dig up the parking lot at the former 448 High St. site and replace 15 feet of tainted soil.

"The city did not create the situation," said Mayor Michael J. McGlynn. "Because we now have ownership, the [state Department of Environmental Protection] is saying it’s our responsibility to clean it up."

http://www.wickedlocal.com/medford/features/x1107423640/Hazardous- chemical-under-West-Medford-parking-lot-causes-problems-to-arise

You may need to copy and paste the link.