2013 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:23:05 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Toxics put pregnant Googlers at risk, expert says, " Mountain View, California

Toxics put pregnant Googlers at risk, expert says

Short-term exposure to TCE can cause fetal heart problems, studies show

by Daniel DeBolt
Mountain View Voice (CA)
February 28, 2013

The elevated levels of toxic TCE vapors recently found in Google offices on Whisman Road and elsewhere should be a concern for pregnant women, even from brief exposures, according to EPA documents and a local toxics cleanup expert.

"I'd want to know more, especially if I were pregnant, I'd want to know what's going on," said Lenny Siegel, director of the Center for Public Environmental Oversight in Mountain View. Google employees "should have been told. I don't know if they were told anything."

A Google spokesperson said employees have been notified and an internal website has been set up with information on TCE and indoor air testing results.

TCE (trichloroethylene) has contaminated groundwater in the area and was recently found evaporating into Google's offices at 369 and 379 Whisman Road at levels above EPA limits.

http://www.mv-voice.com/news/show_story.php?id=6685&e=y#add_comments