2013 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 23:47:54 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Minnesota brownfields

From brownfields to greenfields: No easy transition

By Marlys Harris
MinnPost (MN)
March 15, 2013

Every once in a while, I am reminded that the messes we humans make can be really hard to clean up.

In the past, the context was my sons' rooms. Until they left for college, I would just rake everything into a corner and hope for the best.

But Thursday, when I attended a forum called "Brownfields to Parks," the thought took on a vastly broader scope. Brownfields, FYI, are stretches of land that have become contaminated by hazardous industrial waste and chemicals. Not so hazardous that they are Superfund sites, which only the sturdiest cockroaches can survive, but places that need some clean-up before they can be reused. If you take take even a short drive around town, you'll spot them immediately: abandoned factories, commercial buildings or rail yards, or the sites of former dry-cleaning stores or gas stations.

For the past 20 years or so, there's been an effort underway to redevelop such land. "Before, we would abandon these places and move out to new green land in the suburbs," says Martha Faust, executive director of Minnesota Brownfields, a private nonprofit that's been promoting the investigation, cleanup and redevelopment of brownfield sites.

http://www.minnpost.com/cityscape/2013/03/brownfields-greenfields-no- easy-transition