2013 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 15:09:05 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Final Reminder: EJ/Community Scholarships for Brownfields 2013

Reminder: EJ/Community Scholarships for Brownfields 2013

(Please excuse the duplicate messages.)

The deadline for applying for registration and hotel scholarships to attend Brownfields 2013, May 15-17 in Atlanta, is Monday, April 15. See www.brownfieldsconference.org. for additional information about the conference, and http://www.brownfieldsconference.org/en/Page/50/Environmental_Justice_Caucus for information about the Environmental Justice Caucus meeting Wednesday evening, May 15. Please visit that page to register in advance for the Caucus meeting, which will be held at the Omni Hotel International Ballroom D. There is no charge for the Caucus registration, even for people who do not register for the main conference.

We have been deluged with applications, so it appears that most if not all of the awardees will be community representatives from the Southeast. We will notify successful applicants soon after the April 15 deadline, and we'll get back to others later that week.

We will provide two (one or both) types of assistance for people who are accepted into the scholarship program after submitting one of the applications linked below.

1.  We will provide a $100 discount on conference registration, which is $125 for community participants, or a $25 discount on $50 student registrations. Each person is responsible for his/her own registration, including a payment of $25, after we make the award. We will provide the selected applicants with instructions for registering with the discount.

2. In addition to our previously announced standard two-night (nights of May 15 and 16) hotel scholarships at the Omni Hotel at CNN Center, we are offering three-night scholarships to people who plan to attend the affiliated Public Health sessions on the morning of Wednesday, May 15. For those people, we will be making reservations and paying directly for the nights of May 14, May 15, and May 16 at the Omni. Scholarship recipients are still responsible for incidental expenses at the hotel.

There is no additional charge (above the main conference registration fee) to attend the Public Health sessions during the day on May 15, and no fee or registration is required for the Environmental Justice Debrief Thursday night, May 16, in the Omni Pre-Function Lobby 1.

We will not be providing any additional travel assistance.

We will give preference to people from the Southeast region, but we will not be providing hotel scholarships to participants who live close enough to stay at home during the conference. Because we already have many more applicants than we can support, we will strive to distribute the hotel scholarships among organizations and communities.

Please fill out and submit the linked application by April 15, 2013. We plan to notify awardees by April 22, 2013.

You may download the original, two-night application from to www.cpeo.org/BF13ScholarshipAp.doc .

To download the three-night application, go

If you have already submitted a two-night scholarship and wish to apply for a third night, please just send a message to LSIegel@cpeo.org or fax or phone 650-961-8918.