2013 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 09:20:31 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Meeting on pickle plant riles neighbors, " Millsboro, Delaware

Meeting on pickle plant riles neighbors
DNREC says no off-site monitoring needed

By Ron MacArthur
Cape Gazette (DE)
November 29, 2013

It was supposed to be an information session about a plan to clean up the 107-acre Vlasic pickle plant site in Millsboro. Instead, a Nov. 21 meeting sponsored by the Community Involvement Advisory Council became another venue for frustrated residents to vent anger at state officials.

"Every meeting I've been to, we are told a different story. It's a done deal; Millsboro residents are expendable," said Wharton's Bluff resident Pat Catalano. "It's the governor's show to bring Allen Harim here."

Wharton's Bluff is one of several communities near the site where Allen Harim wants to open a poultry-processing plant that will offer 700 new jobs. The site has not been used since Pinnacle Foods halted pickle production two years ago.

http://capegazette.villagesoup.com/p/meeting-on-pickle-plant-riles- neighbors/1085166