2014 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 20:56:33 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Colorado "Lawmakers move to free $11.2 million for chemical cleanup tax credit"

Lawmakers move to free $11.2 million for chemical cleanup tax credit

By Bruce Finley
Denver Post (CO)
February 19,2014

Dealing with the toxic legacy of PCE and other cancer-causing chemicals poisoning soil, water and air inside buildings will require cooperation, lawmakers and state officials said this week.

The director of Colorado's $500 million effort to clean up thousands of leaking underground storage tanks at gas stations said he envisions a possible role for his agency in accelerating cleanups.

State lawmakers also are looking at the problem, pushing to reinstate a tax credit in 2015 that would make $11.2 million a year available to developers working to reclaim "brownfield" sites contaminated by chemical spills.

"We can't sit around doing a bunch of finger-pointing when we don't have adequate resources," Senate Majority Whip Gail Schwartz, D-Snowmass Village, said in support of the tax credit. "Anything that threatens our groundwater, anything that threatens our air quality is important. We need to make sure we deal with it as best as we can.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.denverpost.com/environment/ci_25175691/lawmakers-move-free-11-2-million-chemical-cleanup

278-A Hope Street