2014 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 01:11:10 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] TCE vapors cause evacuation of CTS Asheville (North Carolina)

[In the words of Sam Cooke, this has been "a long, a long time coming..." See http://www.cpeo.org/pubs/CTSAsheville.pdf. - LS]

After testing, EPA tells 13 residents near CTS to move

by John Boyle
Asheville Citizen-Times (NC)
June 6, 2014

ARDEN - After getting back test results on pollution in air vapor near the CTS site, the EPA is recommending 13 people nearby move from their homes.

Environmental Protection Agency officials visited the home of Terry Rice on Friday evening, telling him test results show unsafe levels of the pollutant TCE in and around his home, and in two nearby trailers Rice rents out.

"As soon as I pulled in the driveway from work, about 5:30, they were standing there," said Rice, a self-employed carpenter who’s lived on the property since 1984. "I came home to be told, 'You should leave.'"

Samantha Urquhart-Foster, remedial project manager with the EPA, confirmed the agency has recommended the residents leave, because the test results were "above a level where we felt we needed to move them away from it." The agency will pay for the relocations to hotels and temporary housing until nearby polluted springs can be cleaned up, which could take several weeks, she said.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2014/06/06/testing-epa- tells-residents-near-cts-move/10109531/