2014 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 23:33:56 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Arkansas says Whirlpool TCE plume may be spreading

ADEQ disputes Whirlpool finding that TCE plume is not growing

by Ryan Saylor
Fort Smith City Wire
November 3, 2014

In an Oct. 22 response to questions by the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality about the stability of a toxic plume of potentially cancer-causing trichloroethylene (TCE), Whirlpool Corporation has again made statements it said justifies previous assertions that the TCE plume is not growing, despite ADEQ statements that have provided the opposite conclusion.

The ADEQ memo dated Sept. 22 stated that the ADEQ believed the plume was potentially growing. ADEQ Engineer Mostafa Mehran wrote to Robert Karwowski, director of environmental, health and safety at Whirlpool, regarding a report by Whirlpool about additional TCE pollution that was found near a Boys and Girls Club located in South Fort Smith not far from the shuttered factory facility.

http://www.thecitywire.com/node/35357