2015 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2015 01:26:40 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Stratford [Connecticut] gets aggressive with brownfields"

Stratford gets aggressive with brownfields

By Bill Fallon
Westfair Communications
February 6, 2015

Not yet 3 years old, the Stratford Redevelopment Agency represents the town's foreclosure-backed plan to remediate brownfields and get them back on the tax rolls. In so doing, Stratford assumes what town officials acknowledged recently were "the headaches and expenses" of testing and remediation at the likes of former gas stations and manufacturing sites.

The upside is developer interest where previously there was none.

"Since we've been pretty lucky as far as remediation with our grant work, we've received a lot of calls from potential developers," said Karen Kaiser, the town's director of economic development. Prior to town involvement, she said developers feared "the shadows and ghosts" such sites can present.

The RDA's mission is to "devise and implement a diverse plan to promote industrial, economic and commercial development." Its successes to date have begun with foreclosures of tax-delinquent sites that bear the additional burden of contamination. Site testing and remediation are funded by state and federal grants.

http://westfaironline.com/69016/stratford-gets-aggressive-with- brownfields/