2015 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 19:00:20 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "DEC wants to stay the course on IBM cleanup, " Endicott, New York

DEC wants to stay the course on IBM cleanup
The department is recommending that measures to fight the groundwater plume be continued

by John R. Roby
Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin
March 5, 2015

ENDICOTT – Ten years of stepped-up efforts to fight a toxic groundwater plume resulting from industrial contamination on the former IBM site in the village have paid off, the manager of the Superfund site told residents at a public hearing Thursday night.

So well, in fact, that New York State Department of Environmental Conservation is recommending that the measures be continued indefinitely.

“As a result of progress we’re making in the groundwater plume and the soil vapor plume, our proposed remedy for this offsite area is to essentially keep doing what we’ve been doing, because it seems to be working really well,” said Alex Czuhanich, engineering geologist with the DEC and the project manager for the IBM Endicott Superfund site.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/local/2015/03/05/ibm-plume-hearing/24436337/

278-A Hope Street