2015 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 13:33:49 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Fwd: Issuing EPA’s Technical Guide For Addressing Petroleum Vapor Intrusion At Leaking Underground Storage Tank Sites

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Hoskinson, Carolyn" <Hoskinson.Carolyn@epa.gov>

Dear Colleagues (EPA Headquarters and Regions, States, Territories, Tribes, PVI Workgroup, ITRC PVI Team, and Others Interested In PVI):

OUST’s Petroleum Vapor Intrusion Guide Is Available At Last!

I am pleased to tell you that EPA’s guide for addressing petroleum vapor intrusion (PVI), Technical Guide For Addressing Petroleum Vapor Intrusion At Leaking Underground Storage Tank Sites, EPA 510-R-15-001, is available on EPA’s website at www.epa.gov/oust/cat/pvi/.  We developed this guide over multiple years with a workgroup comprised of several state colleagues, industry representatives, and other interested parties.  In addition to the input from the workgroup, we received helpful input during the 2013 public review period and 2014 interagency review.  I want to express my personal thanks to all of the PVI workgroup members, everyone who reviewed drafts and provided input, and Interstate Technology & Regulatory Council (ITRC) who developed training on petroleum vapor intrusion.  We are hopeful that this document will better ensure that PVI will be addressed effectively and efficiently as we move cleanup sites forward to protect our communities.

Background

                In 2009, EPA at the request of partners and stakeholders initiated a collaborative effort to develop a technical guide for petroleum vapor intrusion.  Members of the workgroup and other interested stakeholders felt that national guidance was needed to ensure vapor intrusion would be adequately considered and addressed at sites.  This guidance would also help regulators, consultants, and other stakeholders avoid misinterpreting the potential for vapor intrusion and performing unnecessary investigations.  Further highlighting the need for information on PVI, EPA’s Office of Inspector General later that year released a report, Lack of Final Guidance on Vapor Intrusion Impedes Efforts to Address Indoor Air Risks (Report No. 10-P-0042).  The report included recommendations, one of which was for EPA to issue final vapor intrusion guidance that incorporates information on how risks from petroleum hydrocarbon (PHC) vapors should be addressed.  This technical guide is a companion to OSWER’s more general vapor intrusion guide; see www.epa.gov/oswer/vaporintrusion/.  Together, these two documents replace the 2002 draft vapor intrusion guide.

Petroleum VI Guide

The PVI guide focuses on releases of PHCs from USTs regulated under 40 CFR part 280.  It provides screening criteria based on physical separation distances between vapor sources and potential receptors.  We derived the screening criteria by analyzing a large data set of samples from leaking UST sites.  The PVI guide applies to new and existing releases of PHCs and non-PHC fuel additives from leaking USTs, as well as previously closed sites where the implementing agency has reason to suspect there may be a potential for PVI.  Although EPA developed the PVI guide based on data from typical UST sites, it may also be helpful when addressing PHC contamination at comparable non-UST sites.

OSWER’s More General VI Guide

In contrast, the more general OSWER vapor intrusion guide addresses a wide variety of sites and a broader range of contaminants.  This includes non-petroleum sites, as well as comingled plumes of petroleum and chlorinated solvents and petroleum contamination at sites that are not comparable to UST sites, for example refineries.

What Now?

We are planning a series of webinars about the PVI guide.  Also, ORD has developed several technical documents supporting the PVI guide.  These are accessible on our website at www.epa.gov/oust/cat/pvi/.   As more information is available over the next several months, we will share it with this same email distribution list.  If you have questions or know others we should add to this distribution list, contact Hal White of my staff at white.hal@epa.gov or 703-603-7177.

Carolyn Hoskinson, Director
Office of Underground Storage Tanks
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency