2017 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 14:05:11 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Low-cost housing to be built on Grant Warehouse site, northeast Portland, Oregon

Beatrice Morrow site will clean up its act

by Jim Redden
Portland Tribune (OR)
May 18, 2017

The nonprofit organization developing the first affordable housing project for North and Northeast Portland residents displaced by gentrification wants everyone to know the once-polluted site will be completely cleaned up before anyone moves in.

"We heard from the community about the pollution before we bid on the project. There's so much distrust about government that some people say that's the only reason we got it, but that's not the case," says Maxine Fitzpatrick, executive director of the Portland Community Reinvestment Initiative.

The Portland Housing Bureau selected PCRI to build the project on land it owns on Northeast Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard between Cook and Ivy streets. The Beatrice Morrow Building will have 80 units affordable to those earning from 30 to 60 percent of the region's median family income.

The property is well-known in the community as the site of the former Grant Warehouse, which was discovered to be contaminated with a wide range of hazardous wastes in the late 1990s.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/359178-238133-beatrice-morrow-site-will-clean-up-its-act

Executive Director