2017 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2017 18:43:15 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Details about Kirsch cleanup given at forum, " Sturgis, Michigan

Details about Kirsch cleanup given at forum

By Elena Meadows
Surges Journal (NI)
October 28, 2017

Newell Brands and Michigan Department of Environmental Quality held a community meeting Thursday at Sturges-Young Auditorium to provide information about cleanup efforts at the site of Kirsch plant No. 1.

“We appreciate your continued patience as we perform our activity,” said

Lou Meschede, consultant to Newell Brands, told attendees, some which included neighbors of the property, that continued patience is appreciated.
The former Kirsch Plant No. 1 is bounded by Hatch Street to the south, Center Court to the east, the Michigan Southern Railroad tracks to the north and approximately North Fourth Street to the west.

The site has been contaminated for several years and remediation efforts are in progress. Newell Brands purchased the property this month and plans to demolish the two buildings, thus making it easier to access and to remove the source of the contamination.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.sturgisjournal.com/news/20171028/details-about-kirsch-cleanup-given-at-forum

Executive Director