2018 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 16:19:36 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] The future of the Brownfields Internet Forum

The Center for Public Environmental Oversight has been publishing the Brownfields Internet Forum for over 21 years. We have circulated thousands of messages to several hundred people, at no charge.

Through 2013, the Forum was supported as part of grants CPEO received from U.S. EPA. Since January 2014, we have been receiving $1000/month through an EPA subcontract.

At the end of April, that funding came to an end, and we need to decide if and how to continue publishing.

Furthermore, as you may have noticed, I have been having trouble at times keeping up with the Forum because of my responsibilities as Mayor of Mountain View, California, a community that is a leader in the safe redevelopment of contaminated property.

The City pays me very little for my service. Right now CPEO has no money to pay me.

So we’re trying to figure out what to do. Here are the options we are considering:

1.     Stop publishing

2.     Continue publishing with no changes.

3.     Reduce the number of messages, and focus on toxic exposure, our original mission, rather than development.

One way or another, CPEO and its parent organization, the Pacific Studies Center need to replace that $1000-plus per month. We are not considering subscriptions, because last time we tried that – with the Military Environmental Forum – it took too much effort to track subscription period.

So we would like to hear from our subscribers:

How valuable a service is the Brownfields Internet Forum? What types of messages are most useful?

How might we generate the small amount of funds we need to keep it going?

Lenny

Executive Director
P.O. Box 998, Mountain View, CA 94042
Voice/Fax: 650/961-8918