2020 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 11:50:45 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Electro-Plating Services site, Madison Heights, Michigan

No contamination found so far on other properties of ‘green ooze’ factory owner

By Paula Gardner
MLive (MI)
January 6, 2020

After a closed Madison Heights factory was described last week as “the worst industrial site I’ve ever seen,” investigators turned to three other Michigan-based properties once controlled by the owner.

So far, they say, no indications were found that contamination affects those sites.

However, further tests will be conducted on land in Sanilac County owned by Gary Sayers to determine whether any industrial debris left there could have leaked into the soil or moved into waterways.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/01/no-contamination-found-so-far-on-other-properties-of-green-ooze-factory-owner.html

> On Jan 3, 2020, at 3:25 PM, Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org> wrote:
>
> Cyanide, other contaminants found near condemned Madison Heights business
> Officials test substance on I-696
>
> Click on Detroit (MI)
> December 17, 2019
>
> MADISON HEIGHTS, Mich. - Test results show contaminants in the groundwater near a condemned Madison Heights business.
>
> Chromium, trichloroethylene (TCE) and cyanide were all found in the groundwater between Electro-Plating Services and the I-696 service drive.
>
> The Environmental Protection Agency performed testing after a green substance was found seeping onto the freeway on Dec. 20.
>
> …
>
> For the entire article, see
> https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/local/2019/12/27/cyanide-other-contaminants-found-near-condemned-madison-heights-business/
>
> --
>
> Lenny Siegel
> Executive Director
> Center for Public Environmental Oversight
> A project of the Pacific Studies Center
> LSiegel@cpeo.org
> P.O. Box 998, Mountain View, CA 94042
> Voice/Fax: 650-961-8918