2020 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2020 17:39:27 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "More Money for Brownfield Solar Offered, But Better Land Protection Needed, " Rhode Island

More Money for Brownfield Solar Offered, But Better Land Protection Needed

By Tim Faulkner
EcoRI News (RI)
April 28, 2020

Rhode Island is offering a new pot of money for solar development on land that isn’t forest or open space.

Beginning May 5, solar arrays proposed for contaminated former industrial sites, known as brownfields, can apply for a share of $1 million on a first-come, first-served basis through the state Renewable Energy Fund.

The capital came from Rhode Island’s participation in the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI). The multi-state cap-and-trade program generates revenue by auctioning climate-emission allowances to fossil-fuel power plants. The proceeds fund energy-efficiency and renewable-energy projects in each RGGI member state.

“As we grow the amount of clean energy in the state, it is important that we try and site renewable projects in a responsible and sustainable manner,” said Nicholas Ucci, Rhode Island’s acting energy commissioner.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.ecori.org/renewable-energy/2020/4/28/ri-offers-more-money-for-brownfield-solar-but-land-protection-is-needed

Executive Director