2020 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2020 20:35:42 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Cleanup of contaminated river sediment begins at old Uniroyal site, " Detroit, Michigan

Great Lakes Moment: Cleanup of contaminated river sediment begins at old Uniroyal site

By John Hartig
Great Lakes Now
September 7, 2020

Forty years after Uniroyal shut down in Detroit, contaminated sediment cleanup is starting in the Detroit River off this former industrial site.

This cleanup makes way for completing the Detroit RiverWalk extension between Mt. Elliott Park and Gabriel Richard Park, and the East Riverfront portion of the Detroit RiverWalk to the crown jewel of Detroit parks – Belle Isle.

It has been a long and arduous process of razing the old industrial buildings, cleaning up contaminated brownfield lands and now remediating the contaminated sediments in the Detroit River. It is one of the most valuable development parcels in Detroit, with approximately 2,000 feet of riverfront, compelling views of Belle Isle and the Detroit River, and soon the Detroit RiverWalk, greenspace and parkland.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.greatlakesnow.org/2020/09/great-lakes-moment-uniroyal-contaminated-sediment-cleanup/

Executive Director