2021 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 11:05:53 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Houston [Texas] approves brownfield solar project"

Houston approves brownfield solar project
The city plans to convert a 240-acre closed landfill into the largest brownfield solar installation in the nation.

by Haley Rischar
Waste Today
January 14, 2021

Houston has approved a lease agreement with Sunnyside Energy LLC to advance the Sunnyside Solar Project, a public-private partnership to convert the 240-acre closed landfill in Sunnyside into the largest brownfield solar installation in the nation.

According to a release, the project is an example of how the city of Houston is working to find innovative, public-private solutions to addresses historic environmental justice concerns, climate change and economic development in underserved communities.

“The Sunnyside landfill has been one of Houston's biggest community challenges for decades, and I am proud we are one step closer to its transformation," said Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner. "I thank the Sunnyside community because this project would not have come together without its support. This project is an example of how cities can work with the community to address long-standing environmental justice concerns holistically, create green jobs and generate renewable energy in the process.”

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.wastetodaymagazine.com/article/houston-approves-brownfield-solar-project/

Executive Director