2021 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 12:37:41 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Ohio has a lot of abandoned factories; two state lawmakers want the state to pay to clean them up"

Ohio has a lot of abandoned factories; two state lawmakers want the state to pay to clean them up

By Anna Staver
Columbus Dispatch (OH)
May 17, 2021

Thousands of abandoned buildings across Ohio are simply too contaminated to develop.

Old factories that used harsh chemicals. Warehouses built with asbestos. These are parcels of land that need to be cleaned before they can be repurposed.

The Ohio Environmental Protection Agency calls them brownfield sites. Neighbors call them blight. But a growing group of Ohio lawmakers call them a good place to invest state dollars.

"All these cities are just peppered with these perfect locations that are by the highway or by the railroad, but they have some contamination," Sen. Michael Rulli, R-Salem, said. "If we can clean them up and get rid of the blight, we can bring jobs back."

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2021/05/17/ohio-debates-restarting-clean-ohio-brownfields-contaminated-warehouses/5040852001/

—