2021 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 14:11:05 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Historic watch factory receives makeover, " Rockford, Illinois

Historic watch factory receives makeover

By Marta Berglund
WIFR TV (Rockford, IL)
October 20, 2021

ROCKFORD, Ill. - The former Rockford watch factory is in the middle of a much-needed makeover. Using a Brownfield grant from the environmental protection agency, workers will remove asbestos from the abandoned factory’s roof.

“This is our history,” says Brownfields Redevelopment Director Robert Wilhelmi. “The building we’re standing in here is one of the last historical structures. A brownfield is any real property where redevelopment or reuse is limited based on known perceived environmental issues. It could be lead paint, it could be asbestos, it might be soil or groundwater contamination. So, what the city does is we apply for these grants as part of like a re-development effort to make these properties more attractive.”

After the roof is fixed, Wilhelmi believes the vacant factory will have lots of potential for developers.

…

For the entire story, see
https://www.wifr.com/2021/10/20/historic-watch-factory-receives-makeover/

—