2023 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 11:29:13 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Water board names new TCE source near SLO Airport; previously accused family demands exoneration," San Luis Obispo, California

Rushed to judgment: Water board names new TCE source near SLO Airport; previously accused family demands exoneration

BY PETER JOHNSON
New Times San Luis Obispo (CA)
April 27, 2023

Over the past four years, San Luis Obispo County resident Janice Noll and her family wore the odious label of "TCE polluter" in their rural neighborhood south of the SLO Airport.

Each month since 2020, they've gone door-to-door to their neighbors on Buckley Road to change the water filters that are protecting them against trichloroethylene (TCE), a cancer-causing chemical—at a cost of $50,000 per year.

The Nolls are obeying orders from the Central Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board, which in 2019 named the family's longtime thread-rolling shop, Noll Inc., as the culprit in a TCE spill that poisoned more than a dozen wells in the area.

"When you're given an order like that, you do feel criminalistic in a sense. Because the neighbors ... they look at me like, 'Look what you did to my water.' It's horrible," Noll told New Times. "I think the community trusts the [water] board and the government. So once you put your trust in them, and they say that this person is the responsible party, then you believe that."

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.newtimesslo.com/news/rushed-to-judgment-water-board-names-new-tce-source-near-slo-airport-previously-accused-family-demands-exoneration-13832049

—