2023 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 11:33:08 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "Bayshore apartment developers worked to mislead tenants, pressured health department over TCE contamination, " Glendale, Wisconsin

[When I was on the Mountain View City Council, I got my colleagues to approve conditions of development approval, at sites where vapor mitigation was planned, to add two conditions to what the regulators required: Post-construction, pre-occupancy indoor air sampling and notification to future residents that the building was subject to an environmental response. I don’t know to what degree those conditions were enforced. - LS]

Bayshore apartment developers worked to mislead tenants, pressured health department over TCE contamination

By Yash Roy
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel (WI)
July 31, 2023

The developers of new Bayshore luxury apartments where residents were forced to evacuate due to the detection of a harmful carcinogen flouted health department orders, attempted to prevent government officials from speaking to tenants and minimized environmental issues at the site.

After informing government officials of TCE contamination at the site, developer Cypress Bayshore Residential balked at the language the North Shore Health Department instructed the company to use while informing residents of their exposure, according to records obtained by the Journal Sentinel.

“I don’t think we will be willing to agree with the attached (letter),” Cypress project lead John Ausburn wrote to his staff. “It is far too overreactive and one-sided. Send me your version, one that doesn’t make it sound like the tenants have had a month-long exposure to the plague.”

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/local/2023/07/31/lydell-apartments-bayshore-tce-flouted-government/70487476007/

—