2023 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 23:18:33 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] "EPA clears radioactive pollution at Benton Harbor [Michigan] Superfund site"

EPA clears radioactive pollution at Benton Harbor Superfund site

Carol Thompson
Detroit News (MI)
September 4, 2023

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency has finished cleaning up radioactive pollution left behind by a former airplane parts storage facility at a Benton Harbor Superfund site, the agency announced.

The 17-acre property, known as the Aircraft Components Inc. Superfund site, was split into two units. They overlapped geographically and were distinguished by the nature of their contamination — the radiation operable unit was contaminated with radium-226, and the chemical operable unit is contaminated with industrial pollutants including heavy metals and volatile organic compounds.

The radiation operable unit has been removed from the Superfund program, the EPA said Aug. 16. The EPA is continuing groundwater treatment and monitoring for other industrial legacy pollutants, agency spokesperson Macy Pressley said in an email.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/09/04/epa-clears-radioactive-pollution-at-benton-harbor-superfund-site/70711625007/

—