2023 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 15:39:36 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Bipartisan Brownfields Reauthorization bill clears Senate committee

News Release
U.S. Senate Environmental and Public Works Committee
September 27, 2023

EPW Committee Advances Brownfields Reauthorization

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Today, the U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works (EPW) Committee voted to advance the Brownfields Reauthorization Act of 2023 by a voice vote. The legislation, introduced by EPW Chairman Tom Carper (D-Del.) and Ranking Member Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), would reauthorize the Brownfields program through fiscal year 2029 and make the program more accessible to small and disadvantaged communities.

“For years, EPA’s Brownfields program has turned the adversity of industrial contamination into economic opportunity for communities across our nation, including in Delaware,” said Chairman Carper. “The Brownfields Reauthorization Act would help more communities benefit from this successful program, and I thank Senator Capito, as well as our EPW Committee colleagues, for their work to advance this bipartisan legislation.”

“The Brownfields program has created success story after success story in communities across the United States, including West Virginia. The Brownfields Reauthorization Act of 2023 would further support these public-private partnerships that are critical for the economic redevelopment of legacy industrial sites. From an environmental and economic standpoint, Brownfield grants have benefitted both urban and rural areas, and I’m thrilled the EPW Committee continued our track record of bipartisan solutions by advancing this important legislation today,” said Ranking Member Capito.

For the entire article, see
https://www.epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases-democratic?ID=914F24A5-8C92-4249-A709-885DFC770D12

Lenny Siegel
Executive Director
Center for Public Environmental Oversight
A project of the Pacific Studies Center
LSiegel@cpeo.org
P.O. Box 998, Mountain View, CA 94042
Voice/Fax: 650-961-8918