2024 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2024 14:41:35 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Sites near Gowanus Canal (Brooklyn, NY) test positive for toxic vapors

Church that hosted Al Capone’s wedding, 20 other sites by Gowanus Canal test positive for dangerously unsafe air

By Rich Calder
New York Post
June 22, 2024

A famous church that once hosted Al Capone’s wedding, along with 20 other sites near Brooklyn’s toxic Gowanus Canal, are in need of one hell of a clean-up after testing positive for dangerously unsafe air, The Post has learned.

The state Department of Environmental Conservation in late April uncovered cancer-causing vapors seeping from polluted soil into the basement and rectory of St. Mary Star of the Sea Church in Carroll Gardens.

“This is coming from God knows where,” sighed the church’s pastor, Monsignor Guy Massie. “We’re doing the best we can right now, but this has been a big shock.”

…

For the entire article, see
https://nypost.com/2024/06/22/us-news/famed-brooklyn-church-20-other-sites-by-gowanus-canal-test-toxic-by-state/

—